Rainforest & Country Elopements

Your day, your way

Getting Legally Married in Australia

As part of the elopement package we are happy to marry all couples. But for a marriage to be valid there are some key things we require you to provide and sign before we go ahead.
If you are not sure that you have the correct documents, Lucille will be happy assist to you in establishing what is required.

Notice of Intended Marriage form
  • This form needs to be completed and received by our celebrant at least a month before the date that you wish to marry. Just click on the blue link then download the form to your computer and then print it out.
  • Lucille will guide you through the process and can assist you in filling in the form.
  • If you live far from the Tweed Valley, you may email the completed and signed form. (However, the original must also be received prior to the ceremony.)

Documents that must be viewed by the celebrant
  • Prior to your marriage you must provide originals of proof of date and place of birth, this may be in the form of an Original Birth Certificate or a Passport.
  • You are also required to provide proof of ID, this must be a Drivers Licence, Proof of Age Card or Passport.
  • If you have been previously married, you must provide an original Divorce document or Death certificate.

Before you are married
Prior to marrying there is one more form that must be signed by both parties. It is the “Declaration of no legal impediment to Marriage,’
We will discuss an appropriate time for this to be signed prior to your ceremony.

Legal wording in ceremony
Under Australian law, you may marry any time and any place. But there is legal wording that must be in your ceremony. We are happy to tailor ceremonies to our client’s needs; however, we can’t be negotiable on the legal sections. The Celebrant must say:
“I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law.
“Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.
“Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.” or words to that effect.
You must also both say: “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I, A.B. (or C.D.), take thee, C.D. (or A.B.), to be my lawful wedded wife (or husband, or spouse)”;
or words to that effect. The rest is up to you…

Just let us know if there is anything we can help you with in this area.
© 2020 Vibrant Imaging